- (615) 727 1524
To earn points for this activity, upload a photo of you at the activity, a copy of a certificate earned, or other documentation to show that you participated.
Describe the Activity:
An Engineering Design Challenge introduces students to the engineering design process through a hands-on, scenario based activity. They promote critical thinking and problem solving, while giving students the opportunity to work collaboratively. The steps of the engineering design process include:
1. Ask - What is the problem we are seeking to solve? What are the constraints of our possible solution?
2. Imagine - Brainstorm possible solutions to your challenge. Allow students to be creative and think outside the box here!
3. Plan - Select the best solution and start planning your design. Determine the materials you will need to be successful.
4. Create - Create your solution, test it out and make note of the strengths and weaknesses of your solution
5. Improve - Now that you have an initial prototype, think about how you can improve it!
Check out the following websites for some great suggestions of Engineering Design Challenges:
Engineering Design Challenges typically take place over one or several class periods. Unlike a PBL, they can be completed in one course.
The only cost associated with engineering design challenges are the necessary materials.
Outcome of the Activity:
Engineering Design Challenges engage students in the Engineering Design Process, which engages students in the processes engineers undertake every day!
United States39° 55' 6.3372" N, 75° 8' 11.958" W