- (615) 727 1524
*One submission per team per academic year.*
Owning/Managing Organization: MATHCOUNTS Foundation
The MATHCOUNTS Competition Series is the only competition program of its kind, with live, in-person events in all 50 states, as well as U.S. territories and schools worldwide through the U.S. Department of Defense and State Department. Students participate in “bee style” contests at the school, chapter (local), state and national level.
Outcomes of Program:
MATHCOUNTS programs are designed to build problem-solving and math skills. With challenging and interesting math problems, as well as innovative and creative programs that tap into a variety of skills, students of all levels become better critical thinkers.
The inclusive, supportive atmosphere provide by MATHCOUNTS programs also help students feel more confident in their abilities, preparing them to continue with STEM and persevere in the face of challenges.
- Create an online MATHCOUNTS account or log in to your existing account.
- Provide information about the school and coach.
- Enter payment information for your school’s registration fees.
The Competition Series has 4 levels of competition—school, chapter, state and national. Each level of competition is comprised of 4 rounds—Sprint, Target, Team and Countdown Round. Altogether the rounds are designed to take about 3 hours to complete.
- Sprint Round: focuses on speed and accuracy. Students have 40 minutes to complete 30 math problems without a calculator.
- Target Round: focuses on problem-solving and mathematical reasoning. Students receive 4 pairs of problems and have 6 minutes to complete each pair, assuming the use of a calculator.
- Team Round: focuses on problem-solving and collaboration. Students have 20 minutes to complete 10 math problems, assuming the use of a calculator. Only the 4 students on a school's team can take this round officially.
- Countdown Round: focuses on speed and accuracy. Students have a maximum of 45 seconds per problem without a calculator. This round is optional at the school, chapter and state level.
The cost of registering for the MATHCOUNTS Competition Series depends on when the registration form is submitted.
- Early Bird Rate: Registrations received (postmarked) by Nov. 18, 2016 will pay $90 per team (of 4 students) and $25 per individual.
- Regular Rate: Registrations received (postmarked) by Dec. 16, 2016 will pay $100 per team (of 4 students) and $30 per individual.
Title I schools receive a 50% discount on the registration fees. All schools with registrations postmarked after Dec. 16, 2016 will be charged an additional $20 late fee. The registration fees cover the cost of the School Competition Kit, with materials for running a school competition; as well as entry into the Chapter Competition for however many students a school registers (a maximum of 10 students). The registration fee covers the students for as far as they progress in the Competition Series, meaning that if a student progresses to his/her state competition, there are not additional registration fees.
Each school can send a team of 4 students, plus up to 6 individual competitors
Top 4 individual competitors from each state receive an all expense paid trip to the National Competition.
One submission per team.